This page is about configuring the fields that appear in the new issue view for company-managed projects in Jira Cloud.If you're working in a team-managed project, take a look at Customize an issue's fields in team-managed projects..For information on configuring the old issue view, go to Defining a screen.
Choosing which fields appear on your team's issues, and which of those fields are most important, can help your team get more done in less time. The issue view's design enables great flexibility in where you place your fields. If there are a few fields you fill out for every bug, for example, it makes sense that those fields are always visible and somewhere near the top of the issue view. Project admins can set up the issue view for projects to work best with their team.
Issue layout settings are for individual projects. You can't share issue layout settings between projects right now.
- Description fields: Since this section is the first place users look when they open an issue, your most important fields should be configured here.
- Field tabs: If the issue layout's screen is configured with more than one tab, they'll show up in the Description fields section here.
- Context fields: Fields above the hide when empty line in configuration appear at the top of this section, above the Show more link. Each user can pin their most important context fields to the top depending on what works for them.
- Show more: Fields under hide when empty are hidden behind this link when they don't have a value. When they have a value, they'll appear above Show more.
- Configure issue layout: Click Configure to change the position and visibility of fields in the issue view.
When configuring your issue layout, there are three sections: description fields, context fields, and hidden fields.
This section usually appears on the left side of the issue (or at the top in a single-column layout). Since this is the first place users look when they open an issue, put your most important fields here. If your layout's screen is configured with more than one tab, the other tabs will appear in this section. Only Jira admins can configure tabs (project admins can't change the order of the fields displayed in the tab). Learn more about configuring a screen's tabs and fields
This section normally appears down the right side of the issue (or at the bottom in a single-column layout). Context fields usually contain secondary information that your team might need to sort, filter, or report on issues. Each user can customize context fields to work for them by pinning their most used ones to the top of an issue. Learn more about pinning fields
Hide when empty
The context fields section also has a divider you can use to sort always-important fields from sometimes-important fields. Fields above the hide when empty line are always shown in the issue view, regardless of whether they have a value or not. Fields below this line are hidden under the Show x more fields link when they don't have a value. When a field below the line has a value, it moves above the Show x more fields link.
This section is for fields that you don't want to appear on the issue view at all. When configuring the layout for an issue type, drag fields to the right side of the screen and drop them in the Hidden fields section.
Configure issue field layout
- Open an issue of the type you'd like to configure.
- Click Configure at the bottom-right of the issue (near the created and updated dates).
- Add, remove, and drag fields in the field categories until you're happy with the setup.
- Choose Save changes.
If a group of issue types—tasks and subtasks, for example—use the same view issue screen, which they do by default, you'll configure the fields for those issue types all together as a set.
Add fields and create field tabs
The available fields for an issue type are the ones added in the global screen configuration for viewing that issue type. To add more existing fields to an issue type, or create and manage field tabs, you need to visit that global configuration screen.
You need to be a Jira admin to complete this process.
Open an issue and click Configure at the bottom-right of the issue (near the created and updated dates).
- Click the link to the appropriate screen configuration at the top of the page. (If there are existing tabs in the configuration, you can also click the tab name and then Edit fields & tabs).
Add (or remove) the desired fields.
- Add, remove, and edit the field tabs.
Once you have tabs configured, they'll appear in the description section on the left side of an issue. Click the tab to see its fields.
- Field tab name
- Fields in the tab
- To make a field required, check out Specifying field behavior.
- See how to add fields that don't appear in the issue layout screen.
- To add fields that don't exist yet, see Create a custom field.