The following information only applies to next-gen projects
If you're unsure what type project you need help with, check the bottom of your project sidebar. If you see the Give feedback and Learn more menu items, you're in a next-gen project. If you don't, you're in a classic project.
In Jira, an issue can have subtasks that can be assigned and tracked individually. This allows you to break down the work in your project to smaller, more manageable pieces.
Add a subtask issue type
Subtask issue types are different from regular issue types. If your project doesn't already have a subtask issue type, you'll need to add one.
- Navigate to your next-gen software project.
- Go to Project Settings > Issue types.
- Select Add issue type.
- Select Subtask.
You can create subtasks under any standard issues, like stories, bugs, or tasks. Note that you cannot create subtasks under epics or other subtasks.
When viewing an issue
- On the board or backlog, select an issue.
- Select Add a child issue
- Enter a description for the subtask and select Create.
On the board
- On the board of your next-gen project, next to Group by, select Subtask (project admins only).
- Select Create issue (+) to create a subtask under that issue.
View subtasks on the board
Note that only the project admin can access this setting.
- Navigate to the board in your next-gen project.
- In the Group by dropdown, select Subtasks. The headers for each swimlane will be your regular issues, and the cards underneath each header represent your project's subtasks. You can then move those subtasks between columns like you would any other issue.