Space import will not work if you are importing from Confluence Server version 6.13 or earlier.
To avoid any issues, we recommend using the Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant for all server to cloud imports. The migration assistant can be used with Confluence Server versions 5.10 and later.
This document is specific to importing a Confluence space, rather than an entire site. If you're moving a Confluence Cloud space to an existing cloud site, follow the steps below.
If you're migrating a Confluence Server space to the cloud, see Confluence Cloud Migration Assistant.
On this page, we'll use the term 'source Confluence site' or 'source site' to mean the Confluence Cloud instance you're copying the information from.
Before you start
If your Confluence site also has Jira
Linking spaces to Jira projects.
You can link a Confluence space to a Jira project when importing a space by selecting the project from the Link to Cloud project dropdown on the import screen.
Importing or migrating your Jira project at the same time?
If you are also importing or migrating a Jira project that is linked to your Confluence space, please complete the Jira import before you import your Confluence space. This is so that Confluence can update any Jira macros to pull the Jira data from the new location.
Changing space keys
You can't change space keys in Confluence. If it is important to you to have a different space key, you can create a new space with a different key, move your pages into that space, and then import the new space.
The space importer does not overwrite existing spaces, so if your Confluence instance already has a space with the same space key as a space you are trying to import, Confluence will not be able to import that space.
Step 1. Export the space content from the source Confluence Cloud site
Export the space you want to copy:
- Go to your source site and select the space
- Click on the space name in the navigation, and click Space Settings
- Choose Content Tools > Export
This option will only be visible if you have the 'Export Space' permission.
- Select XML and hit Next
For detailed instructions, please refer to Export Content to Word, PDF, HTML and XML.
If you're using a mac to download the XML export of a space, OS X will unzip the backup, place the unzipped folder in your downloads folder, and put the zipped backup in the trash. In this case, you should retrieve the zip from the trash and upload it to be imported into Confluence.
If you try to upload the unzipped folder, or if you try to re-zip the folder on a mac, you won't be able to successfully import and you'll get an error saying that Confluence can't find the
Step 2. Import the space content to the destination site
- Log in to your Confluence Cloud site
- Click in the Confluence navigation (Settings)
- Choose Import Spaces under 'Administration' in the left-hand navigation bar
- Specify your file using the Browse button
If you're using Jira Cloud, you can also specify the Jira project you'd like to link to this space.
- Choose Import
If you're importing more than one space, once the first import has been completed, you can click Import another space and repeat as often as necessary until all your spaces have been imported.
Once you've imported all your spaces, hit Next Step. This will trigger the Jira macro repair, which will find and fix any broken Jira macros on your instance.
Notes about the space import
- Users – The above procedure will not import user accounts. See Integrate with G Suite.
- Groups and permissions – The above procedure will not import any groups that may have been granted specific space permissions in your source Confluence site. This means that if there are pages that are restricted to these groups, you may not be able to see them until you recreate these groups in your destination site.
- Importing spaces exported with the Documentation theme – If you have exported a space that was using the documentation theme, make sure you make a note of any wiki markup customizations you may have made to the theme, as these will not be automatically applied to the default theme when the space is imported.