As a Jira administrator, you can manage the general configuration of all Jira applications in one place.
Editing general configuration
- Choose > System
- Click General Configuration > Edit Settings. Continue to the Settings, Internationalization, or Options section below.
- Click Update when you're done.
You can customize the following settings:
- Set the application title for your Jira application login page and default dashboard.
- Set the email from header format for notification emails.
- Add a short introduction message to your default dashboard.
The default sender for notification emails where one user has made changes is "<user's full name> (Jira)". For emails where multiple users have made changes, the default sender is "Jira". If you customize the email from header, the new format will be used for all notification emails. The variables you can use are
In addition to viewing the installed language packs and the default language for your Jira applications, you can customize the following internalization settings:
- Select an indexing language to enhance issue search across Jira, specifically to prevent reserved words from being indexed and to activate word stemming in all issue fields. If multiple languages are used in your issues (or you wish to disable the reserved words and word stemming actions), choose Other.
- Set a default user time zone to display across all Jira applications (for example, when looking at issue comments). Users can override this default in their profile. To format your time zone display, see Configuring the look and feel of your Jira applications. Note that date fields such as due dates and release dates aren't impacted by time zone settings.
Click Edit settings to view more information about the remaining general configuration options you can set for your Jira applications.
Controls whether voting is enabled in Jira. Voting allows users to indicate a preference for issues they would like to be completed or resolved. See also the 'View Voters and Watchers' permission.
Controls whether watching is enabled in Jira. Users can 'watch' issues which they are interested in. Users watching an issue will be notified of all changes to it. See also the 'View Voters and Watchers' and 'Manage Watcher List' permission.
Controls whether public sharing is an option for filters and dashboards. Public sharing means giving access to users who are not logged in to your Jira Cloud site. If your site allows public access, filters and dashboards shared publicly will be visible and searchable on the internet. Turning off public sharing won’t change any filters or dashboards that are already publicly shared. Learn more
|Maximum project name size|
Controls the maximum number of characters allowed for a project name. Changing this value will not affect the names of existing projects.
|Maximum project key size|
Controls the maximum number of characters allowed for a project key. Changing this value will not affect the keys of existing projects. You can set this to any value between 2 and 255, inclusive.
|Allow unassigned issues|
When turned ON, the default assignee for the project is Unassigned. When turned OFF, issues must always be assigned to someone - by default, the assignee will be the Project Lead as defined for each project.
Controls whether to obtain user's confirmation when logging out: NEVER COOKIE - prompt for confirmation if the user was automatically logged in (via a cookie). ALWAYS
|Use gzip compression|
Controls whether to compress the web pages that Jira sends to the browser. It is recommended that this be turned ON, unless you are using mod_proxy.
|User email visibility|
Controls how users' email addresses are displayed in the user profile page.
Determines what will be contained in the list that is presented to users when specifying comment visibility and worklog visibility.
Default: Project Roles only
|Exclude email header 'Precedence: bulk'|
Controls whether to prevent the Precedence: Bulk header on Jira notification emails. This option should only be enabled when notifications go to a mailing list which rejects 'bulk' emails. In normal circumstances, this header prevents auto-replies (and hence potential mail loops).
|Issue Picker Auto-complete|
Provides auto-completion of issue keys in the 'Issue Picker' popup screen. Turn OFF if your users' browsers are incompatible with AJAX.
Provides auto-completion of search terms when users perform an advanced (JQL) search. Turn OFF if you prefer not to use this feature, or are experiencing a performance impact.
|Contact Administrators Form|
Provides an email form for users to fill in when they click the 'Contact Administrators' link (which appears when appropriate in Jira, e.g. on Login panels and pages).
Applies only if outgoing email is enabled.
Can be used with or without the custom Contact Administrators Message below. Users with the Jira Administrators global permission will be notified as a result.
Allows loading external avatars from a Gravatar server
Enables inline editing of issues
|Auto-update search results|
Turn on to update search results automatically
- Set the maximum project name length to 80 and the project key length to 10 characters.
- If your users' browsers are incompatible with AJAX, turn off the issue picker auto-complete option.
- If you're experiencing any performance impact, turn off the JQL auto-complete option.