When you have Jira Cloud connected to your Bitbucket Cloud accounts, Jira automatically updates as you work, so your team can see new branch, commit and pull request activity in Jira issues.
However, sometimes you may need to manually refresh Jira if you see inconsistencies between the information in Jira Software and the actual activity in your repository.
Synchronization can also fail if Jira does not recognize your OAuth settings. When this happens, you'll see an error message on the Jira 'DVCS accounts' page.
The syncing operation compares the existing data in Jira Software with that in the linked repository. A sync does not affect the commits in Bitbucket. You can run a soft sync or a full sync:
- A soft sync retrieves changes made since the last sync. This is the recommended option.
- A full sync clears all existing data in Jira and resyncs everything. Only do this if your data or synchronization is broken. Note that a full synch can severely increase traffic on the repository provider, who may choose to temporarily restrict your account as a result.
You might consider manually synching when:
- There are missing commit activities in Jira Software, for example if Jira Software was offline and there were commits to the repository.
- You haven't seen commits appearing in Jira Software for a longer period of time than usual.
- Bitbucket Cloud is back online after being unavailable and you want to retrieve the commit data immediately. Otherwise, you can wait for Bitbucket to perform the next sync.
Always try a soft synch first; only do full synch as a last resort.
To do a soft synch:
- Log in to Jira Software using an account with Jira admin or sysadmin permissions.
- Go to Applications > DVCS accounts.
- Locate the repository that you want to sync.
- Click the sync icon beside the Last activity date (you need to hover over the row to see that):
To do a full sync:
- Locate the repository that you want to sync on the 'DVCS accounts' page.
- Hold down SHIFT and click the sync icon beside the Last activity date (you need to hover over the row to see that).
- Choose Full synchronization.