First, you'll need to consider whether you're migrating to a new or existing cloud site.
Moving to an existing cloud site
If you have existing site data (anything besides users, groups, and permissions) in Jira Cloud and want to import more data from Jira Server, you'll need to use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant.
This is because the Jira site import process will overwrite all data associated with projects and replace it with project data from the backup file.
Moving to a new cloud site
If you're migrating to a new cloud site, you can use the standard migration process.
What is migrated
Users, groups and permissions.
Site data, including projects and issues.
Jira configuration. This includes things like project setup, custom fields, and workflow schemes.
Custom main handlers.
Portfolio for Jira. Note that Portfolio features differ in cloud and server, and we recommend including Portfolio for Jira Cloud in your user acceptance testing to understand what differences your users can expect after migrating.
What isn't migrated
The migrator's group permissions. If you're the person doing the migration, you'll need to re-add yourself to your previous groups after migrating.
Apps. App data is not included in the backup when migrating from Jira Server to Jira Cloud. Some apps do have the capability to export and import their data but you'll need to check with the app developers or their documentation to confirm if this is possible. Your licenses for Atlassian Marketplace apps can be viewed on https://my.atlassian.com/.
User avatars. Users will need to update their avatars after migrating.
Passwords. Unless you've set up SSO, users will need to reset their passwords after migrating.
Timezones. Timezone information on a per-user profile will be lost.
- Users managed by external directories. We recommend using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to migrate your data if you have users managed by external directories. If you can't use the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to migrate all data, consider using it to migrate users only. For example, you can migrate all your Jira users with the migration assistant first and then import your projects through Jira Site import later.
More information and support
We have a number of channels available to help you with your migration.
- For more migration planning information and FAQs, visit the Atlassian Cloud Migration Center.
- Have a technical issue or need more support with strategy and best practices? Get in touch.
- Looking for peer advice? Ask the Atlassian Community.
- Want expert guidance? Work with an Atlassian Partner.