Important changes to our server and Data Center products
We’ve ended sales for new server licenses, and will end support for server on February 2, 2024. We’re continuing our investment in Data Center with several key improvements. Learn what this means for you
Determine if you need to upgrade to a newer version
If your server license and maintenance has expired, you can still migrate to cloud at no added cost. We offer 60-day free cloud migration trials for server customers with expired maintenance.
In most cases, you should be able to move directly to cloud from your current server site. If you’re on an older server version, you may need to upgrade to a newer version before you can migrate. Find out which versions are supported for Jira and Confluence.
Using a trial license for upgrading and migrating
If you're on an unsupported version and don't have active maintenance on your server license (which is needed to upgrade), you can use a free trial license to upgrade in preparation for the migration. Go to my.atlassian.com and sign up for a free evaluation license for the product(s) you're migrating.
You can no longer create new server trial licenses (as of February 2, 2021), but you can use Data Center trial licenses, generated from my.atlassian.com, in server installations.
Note that server and Data Center evaluation licenses last for 30 days. If you need more time to complete your migration, no problem – they can be extended to 90 days upon request.
Upgrading your server installation
If you need to upgrade to a supported version, follow the step-by-step upgrade instructions for your product.
Make sure you’re looking at the documentation for the product version you’re currently running (for example, version 7.7). You can check this using the dropdown menu in the top right of the page.
Tips for a successful upgrade
- Back up your site before performing the upgrade.
- Run all pre-upgrade checks, including the prescribed health check (when supported).
- Set up a test environment where you can perform a dry-run of the upgrade.
Our documentation provides step-by-step instructions covering each of these tips.
Once you've upgraded
After upgrading, review the following migration planning documentation to review common questions, best practices, pre-migration checks and step by step instructions for how to migrate:
More information and support
We have a number of channels available to help you with your migration.
- Need more help with your license? Contact our team.
- For more migration planning information and FAQs, visit the Atlassian Cloud Migration Center.
- Have a technical issue or need more support with strategy and best practices? Get in touch.
- Looking for peer advice? Ask the Atlassian Community.
- Want expert guidance? Work with an Atlassian Partner.